Sunday, December 14, 2008

Pacific Surf Gallery



For all intents and purposes I recently acquired an unpaid internship at Pacific Surf Gallery. This is a surf art gallery nestled among a yoga studio, Starbucks, and a small family owned market. The owner is a lifetime surfer named Peter Barker. Peter spent his early years as a ski instructor in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. After doing that for a decade and a half, he went on a trip of sorts looking for his own perfect wave. Three years ago he settled in Cardiff by the Sea, CA and purchased a little surf art gallery. The gallery exhibits mostly water and ocean related art. He has wood cuts by the late Pat Tobin, Oil and Acrylic surf artist Ashton Howard, and many others.

My experience has been very limited so far. From an outsider's perspective, working at an art gallery seems glamorous. But there are still mundane tasks such as picture hanging, unloading art shipments, and making labels. But this is the dream, or part of the dream. The experience will prepare me for maybe owning my own gallery someday or for a bigger gallery. My goals as I spend some of my time there will be to learn about the different kinds of prints, and the artists. Being versed and discovering more artists is whats so special about this job and I am hoping to learn as much as I can.

1 comment:

SCDad said...

Good luck -- I hope this helps you to realize some of the goals you've set for yourself.